Sunday, May 8, 2011

Laboratorio del Gelato

 I was told by another intern of this gelato bar in the lower east side that had many different flavors of gelato. I figured it would be the usual chocolate, vanilla, nutella. She started listing them off and it turned out that they had really fun, different flavors like olive oil, basil, and a lot more. That night I checked out their website and saw the list of flavors.  I decided to check it out one day after work. I was really excited to try a flavor that I had never had; I was thinking possibly the olive oil and basil.
http://www.laboratoriodelgelato.com/flavors.php
I came up to the building, after calling Neil a few times for directions, and realized it was no longer there, and had moved to a new locations. Again, I had to continuously call Neil to get the new directions. It wasn't a very pretty walk either, very dirty area. I finally got there and it was open. When my friend told me about it she said that she had to wait in line for 20 minutes. When I got there, there was only one person waiting, and he had left, leaving me to be the only person! It was great. I was disappointed  to find that they didn't have all of the flavors that the website showed, which makes sense because there were so many, but they didn't have the olive oil! It took me about 8 minutes to decide, I chose Guinness and cheddar cheese. Two different flavors, I thought they'd be fun together, beer and cheese! It was $3.25 for a small, with two scoops. It was bigger than the once in the Chelsea Market, and cheaper. Again the service was obnoxious, she acted like she had a better place to be, which I'm sure she did, but come on!
The Guinness had a nice flavor, it was sweet, but had a rich beer flavor to it, but the fact that it was sweet kept it from being too intense. It reminded me of how coffee is usually pretty bitter and intense, but when you have coffee ice cream, its smooth and easy to eat. It was a very similar situation. The other gelato was the cheddar cheese. I was nervous for this one, but excited at the same time. I did not know what to expect. I should have tasted it before the Guinness, the Guinness was slightly sweeter than the cheddar cheese, so once I had taken the bite of the cheddar cheese it tasted even less sweet, and a little more sour. I took a second bite, and it was a lot better. It was sweet, and it was cheddar! It had a sort of surprising flavor, but a very strong, cheesy, daily flavor to it. The texture was a little more solid than the Guinness gelato, I thought about it for a minute and realized that cheese is hard when cold, so the fat content was making it more solid. It did not leave a fatty, slimy mouth feel, it melted just like ice cream. I was satisfied with the gelato they also sell they're flavors by the pint! I would go back, 8.5 out of 10, bad service and they advertise the wrong address!
The building itself was very interesting because it was all windows, and you could see everything going on inside, like a laboratory. The wore lab coats, and they were testing and mixing things. The glass also had writing on it describing what each station was doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment