Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sprinkles



Sprinkles is said to be the original cupcake bakery, with their first location in Beverly Hills. but I had heard that they were opening in New York, I was hoping they would open when I was here, luckily they did! The owner of Sprinkles is the judge, Candace Nelson, from cupcake wars, and apparently she knows the cupcake... very well. I have to say these were the best cupcakes I've had in New York City. They opened on May 13th, which I was going to avoid because I thought the line would be insane. I already close to the street, on the West Side, and decided I should just cross over to the East Side of Manhattan to check out the line. I saw the line before the building, but surprisingly it was not that long. It was strange to see how many people were interested in the line, even though they had no idea what it was for. Many people hopped in the line after hearing. It took about 10-15 minutes; some of the staff is outside getting people ready to go in. They were handing out flavor cards, which was basically their weekly menu, printed on a really cute card in a very cute way, little dots would represent different flavors on different days of the week. There were so many to chose from, they have about 25 flavors and they run about 10 of those a day, from chocolate, vanilla, coconut, cinnamon sugar and so many more. They also run a cupcake special, which was salted caramel. Oh. Yes.


I made it inside, which was adorable, they had a rainbow wall and a zebra wall. I was excited. I made it up to the counter and the very friendly staff was hard at work and took my order, which they wrote down and took my name because they were so busy. I ordered a red velvet, to try they're cream cheese icing, dark chocolate, and the salted caramel. They are 3.50 each, super expensive, but we're paying for the name at this point. It was $11 total, for 3 cupcakes. They packaged them up for me and put them in a cute paper bag and I brought them home.  On this trip I decided I would stop at Bloomingdale's for the first time and get myself a 'Little Brown Bag" Which I am proud of, and spent $29 on a pair of running shorts, just to get the bag. The shorts were probably the cheapest thing in the store.


When I got back to the apartment I dove into the red velvet cupcake, and split it with Neil. It was moist, flavorful and the cream cheese icing wasn't too heavy. It had the perfect icing to cake ratio! I saved the other two for the next day. The chocolate was very rich and slightly bitter also moist and flavorful. My favorite was the salted caramel. The whole cupcake tasted like caramel, but it wasn't overpowering. The cake itself was like a brown sugar cake, and the icing was mixed with caramel and sprinkled with bits of sea salt to make it that much better. It was the happiest cupcake eating experience... I didn't share that one. None of the cupcakes tasted like box mix, I would be very surprised if I found out that it was. The icing was also American, which surprised me because I don't normally like American buttercream, but it wasn't too sweet. It was very well balanced. 10 out of 10, great cupcakes, great service, kind of pricey, but totally worth it. I will be going back this week.


Wooden Utensils!

No comments:

Post a Comment